Monday, May 5, 2014

A moment of shame, a reason for hope

My dear offspring, siblings, friends and neighbours, following my last attempt at posting something on this my blog (just for the heck of it), I come before you today, head bowed in shame and tail securely tucked between my hind legs, to report that the link I so happily propagated was not kosher.

It was just what it seemed to be: a deal too good to be true. The first thing that should have set off all the bullshit alarm bells was the fact that they offered to pay you $25 as soon as you registered! 

But did it ring any bells? Of course it did not. And of course it did like the 777 in the slot machine when you hit the jackpot, images of unexplained cash in your account flashed through your mind. And why not? It is hard work finding people to make or trick into clicking on the link; and knowing that the more people that click, the more the cash pours into your coffers, you have worked hard at it.  

Anyway, to cut a long story short, lets use scissors and come to the point. When you reached the minimum of $300 for which you are congratulated and asked to click on another link, things start becoming elephant. The link leads to a page that simply tells you THE BLOG HAS BEEN REMOVED!

Uta do? So you decide there must be a mistake and send them an email through the address given. But alas, the mail server informs you ever so politely that "the address "does not exist, you are wasting your time, go away. 

Yet another avenue for crossing the poverty line gone sour. Now comes the hard part. A story is told of a young lady who once went to the priest and confessed to having spread malicious rumours about her best friend. The Father, for he was a kind guy told her she would be forgiven as long as she carries out a single task for him.

"What task would that be father?"

"Bring that pillow and I will show you, my daughter."

So she brought the pillow. And the prieiest instantly slashed it with a razor sharp knife and bid her to hold it up in the wind.

"Is that my penance, Father?"

"No, my dear," replied the Father kindly. "Your penance is to collect all the feathers that blew into the wind and stuff them back into the pillow."

"But that's impossible, Father..."

"Exactly. Just like you can't go back and collect all those feathers, you can not unsay all the nasty things you said or caused to be said by the rumour you started..."

I feel just like that lady, right now.

Fortunately, I have just finished reading a 360 page book published by a most eminent publisher who probably hopes that I'll be so inspired by it I will review it. If that goes well you will soon be reading my views on the life story of a great Kenyan  and why the book is worth all the Ksh 2,500 it is retailing for.

I promise to also look around for interesting stories to tell and I will publish those too - who says one can't pay the bills on writing alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment